Monday, May 23, 2011

Chapter XLIII: Listen To The Music


My grandfather always said; "God gave us two ears and one mouth because we should listen twice as much as we should talk." I think this phrase applies to musicians in a unique way. Because one can't play music without listening to music.

And God is teaching me to listen to the music.

You see, all my life, I've been the person on stage. The guy playing music. The hermit locked in his room with a guitar, pencil, and paper. The dude being congratulated after a concert. Basically, the LORD has created me to be a musician, and I love that role. Whether it's leading worship, playing with my band, jamming with my friends, or writing music, God has gifted me in the audible arts, and I'm grateful.

BUT lately he's been asking me to listen. Because being a musician means you intently listen to other people create artistic sounds. One can't play music without listening to music. Lately I've been listening to far greater artists and simply enjoying what they have to offer. Hearing different bands, guitarists, and vocalists share their gift is both inspirational and educational, but also refreshing.

Because you can't always be on stage.

And this idea doesn't stop with music.

We all have our areas of expertise. Our areas of passion. Our gifted areas. And the LORD provides us with ample opportunity to express ourselves in those areas, but we need to recognize that we can't always be preforming.

Sometimes we need to listen.

Because if you use your voice for too long, you'll lose it....but you can use your ears as much as you want.

Open ears,
-B

No comments:

Post a Comment